Saturday, June 27, 2020

Trouble

There have been many times in my life when I have accused someone of not meeting my needs. I was angry with them*. I wanted them to change. Because they weren’t meeting my needs, I was living in some degree of trouble -- discomfort and pain.  In these situations, it helped me feel better to talk badly about the person to other people. But in the long run, this created more trouble in me and didn’t help improve my relationship with that person.

*I recently read a book that used the pronouns they or them to represent a single male or female character, rather than using he and she or him and her. For simplicity’s sake, I’m using the same grammatical exception-to-the-rule here.

There have also been times in my life when I generally found fault with people who weren’t meeting my needs. There were periods, short and long, when I had a tendency to find fault with others and feel angry about what was happening. This created trouble inside of me and in many of my relationships with other people.

Sometimes, upon introspection, I would recognized that I was in a bad mood and that was the reason for the trouble. That was why I was not getting along with a certain person or people in general. Over the years, as I studied relationships and human behavior, I came to understand that accurate introspection and extrospection (I don’t know if that is even a word) is a crucial relationship skill to have when resolving trouble and developing compatible relationships that return sustainable joy.

So the first thing I learned to do when recognizing trouble in a relationship, was to identify my need. What was it that I wanted? In most of the conflicts I found myself in, I realized that my need was valid. It was core, essential, and inherent. It wasn’t wrong to actually need it. Just understanding that released so many intense and angry knots in my soul. It took so much of the trouble away.

The next thing I learned to do was to understand that the other person in the relationship had the choice to meet my needs or not.  Demanding, forcing, or manipulating that person to meet my needs increased the trouble. It was not love. Neither was it love for the other person to be motivated to meet my needs after I demanded, forced, or manipulated them into doing it. I knew it wasn’t. We all know it isn’t. So I came to a major personality-changing decision when I understood this. I decided that I did not ever want to attempt to force anyone to meet my needs.

The only way I could stand by that decision was to have someone I could go to when I got into trouble. Someone who would always be willing and able to meet my real core needs. And I had to have a close enough relationship with a person like this. For me, that person was Jesus Christ. When I developed my relationship with him to the level that I could go to him for my inherent needs when the other people in my life could not or would not meet them (knowingly or unknowingly), I had the power to stand by that decision. Over time, as I continued to stand in this place, crucial gears and mechanisms inside my soul changed. The trouble decreased.

To clarify, the Savior didn’t always meet my needs immediately. Sometimes there were things I needed to learn and straighten out in my own thoughts and behavior. There was an increase in trouble before I could receive his crucial peace that I learned to completely rely upon. I have been required to bear trouble for extended periods of times. I have learned to bear burdens, sacrifice, experience pain and sorrow as we wrestle through the trouble – my previous ways of resolving conflicts and obtaining my desires.

He said, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (John 14:27).

He also said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6).

I have found both of these statements to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment